It was decided to equip the Norwegian line infantry and light troops should be equipped with kammerlader rifles. The same day, the 18 bore (lødig) kammerlader Model 1849 was adopted. The guns were manufactured in Norway by the Kongsberg Arms... Read more ...
The Kammerlader became general issue
It was decided to equip the Norwegian line infantry and light troops should be equipped with kammerlader rifles. The same day, the 18 bore (lødig) kammerlader Model 1849 was adopted. The guns were manufactured in Norway by the Kongsberg Arms Factory, by A. Francotte in Liege, Belgium and Crause in Herzberg in present-day Germany. Production in Norway started in 1850 after the production of Model 1846 was finished. Model 1846 and 1849 are fairly similar, and only minor details and markings distinguish them.
As a result, the Norwegian Army's armament was among the most modern in the mid-1800s. Only Prussia, who equipped their troops with von Dreyse's needle gun, was a few steps ahead. However, Norway was the first equipped the entire line infantry with breech-loading firearms.
No chatting right now.
(You must be logged in to the Norwegian forum to chat.)
In this article you can read about hunting with black powder firearms, from a Norwegian perspective. The Norwegian game law limits the use of black powder for hunting, but a few hunters hunt small game with black powder rifles and shotguns. Read the article to find out more.
During the last couple of months svartkrutt.net has been regularly updated. The most important changes are done in the English section. The Norwegian and English pages are now quite similar regarding content, and all articles are translated to English.
I also want to urge everyone that still uses the ancient Internet Explorer version 6 to upgrade to version 7. Version 6 is not supported on these pages anymore, and the layout may look strange if you are using this browser. You can also upgrade to, for example, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome or Safari.
Below is a list with the most important updates changes this autumn.
- Forum and chat: Upgraded with the latest versions.
- Search enhancements: A new search box with about 500 predefined alternatives is added to the front page. Note: The alternatives drop-down does not work with the Safari browser.
- Translations: All articles are translated to English.
- A couple of new pages are added: About this site, Movies, Links, News archive and Contact.
- Articles: The article main page is updated
- Sharing: It is now possible to share articles, news and other content on Facebook and delicious.
- Printing: A new print icon is added on the articles with printer friendly versions of the articles. Printer friendly means that background colours, menus and similar graphical elements are removed from the print.
- Language selector: It is now possible to select language on all articles (Norwegian-English or English-Norwegian)
- Menus: New menu layout for articles that extends over two or more parts.
- Layout: Some minor layout changes, for example, on the index page and on the top menu.
- The Black Powder Book page: The page is rewritten and enhanced.
- Validation: svartkrutt.net now validates according to the W3C-standard.