S&W Model 3 Russian third model hammer (Handguns)

by Robin Banks @, Oslo, Monday, December 16, 2013, 17:14 (1374 days ago)

Hi
Anybody knows if a Uberti hammer will fit an original S&W?
Or if it's oversized so that it could be fitted?

Kindly regards
RB

--
If your gun can reach it and you can see it, you can hit it. If you practice.

S&W Model 3 Russian third model hammer

by Gwyn Jones @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 14:13 (1373 days ago) @ Robin Banks

Acording to David Chicoine in his book S&W Sixguns of the Old West very few parts from the Italian replicas,ASM/Cimmaron and Uberti and even the S&W made Schofield, will interchange with the originals other than a few springs and smaller parts. They have been re-engineered by these companies and are of different dimentions and screw threads. If it is a question of broken hammer notches etc. a good gunsmith could reweld and recut them on your hammer.

You could try to obtain a hammer from Jack First in the USA www.jackfirstgun.com/ or ask your question on the S&W website http://smith-wessonfourum.com Go to the S&W Antique forum. Many US companies will not even export antique parts but I have used the services of registered gunsmiths Peter Dyson over here in the UK to obtain original parts for Winchesters.

Good luck,

Gwyn

by Robin Banks @, Oslo, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 21:45 (1373 days ago) @ Gwyn Jones

Thanks for the reply Gwyn.
I've already got a post on the S&W forum, but your answer is the only good one I've got. I was thinking about buying that book just because I knew there where som information about interchangeble parts, but now you saved me some time and money. The problem is that a hobby mechanic has messed up the hammer really bad, rest of the revolver is fine. Maybe I will have to make one from scratch (got alot of elbow grease :-) ).

Thanks again
RB

--
If your gun can reach it and you can see it, you can hit it. If you practice.

by Gwyn Jones @, Monday, June 02, 2014, 18:22 (1206 days ago) @ Robin Banks

SAw this on the S&W collectors websiteand thought of you' A french site has a No3 hammer for sale at http://www.naturabuy.fr/active_auctions.php?user_id=42958

Gwyn

RSS Feed of thread